TheJervid

More 'newb-ish' questions

Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:05 am

Oh sweet goodness, this is an awesome program. I've successfully edited the responses in the SIML files so the avatar sounds a little less like ALICE and a little more like someone I wouldn't mind having over for dinner. Again, Leslie, everyone else on the team: thank you for this awesome program

I have a weird problem happening. Heretofore, I have been typing to the assistant as I didn't have an adequate microphone and figured, once it comes, everything will just transfer over. I got a nice microphone, went through Windows' speech setup, made sure I was in US English (and not UK English as a previous poster had such a problem) and turned it all on. Currently, it seems that all of the plugins are taking verbal commands however, the 'regular conversation' pieces aren't registering.

If I say "Start Game", we can tic and tac 'til our toes fall off. :lol: If I say "Play music" it starts instantaneously. If I say "What's the weather?" I get a response so long as I'm attached to the internet. If I say "How old am I?" nothing happens. It's as if it can't 'hear' spoken words that aren't plug ins.

At the bottom is a snippit of my log file (which I really had to fight her for- she said it was up and it wasn't- and then I couldn't upload a .txt or a .docx to the attachment screen). I saw that there's an XML file that isn't loading properly.
  • 10/25/2017 4:20:22 PM [Info] Embedded resource 'Syn.VA.Plugins.Browser.BrowserPluginSettings.xml' not available.
Also there's an empty '' next to grammar.
  • 10/25/2017 4:20:23 PM [Info] Loading Plugin class: 'SpeechPlugin'
    10/25/2017 4:20:23 PM [Info] Unloaded all grammar.
    10/25/2017 4:20:23 PM [Info] Loaded Grammar: ''
Is this the cause for the lack of 'hearing' me? Again, if I type "How old am I?" there's no hesitation but when I speak "how old am I?" into the microphone, it doesn't even hit the log file as if I said something.

Thank you all in advance for being my 'training wheels' in this endeavor. I cannot wait to have an assistant listening to me and commenting on the goings on in the office from atop my work desk.

Edit [By FranzZ]: Log data saved to reference directory and removed from post.

Fantom
Help & Support

Re: More 'newb-ish' questions

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:20 pm

Your log is okay. The resource not found message is not an error as VA always searches for XML resource files in every plugin and if not found it just adds an info log.

sorry but dictation mode speech recognition was available in previous versions of Syn VA but was removed in version 8.5 in the last minute as we could not complete unit testing for the feature because of unconfirmed release date of Windows 10 cumulative update.

right now Syn VA only supports command control but the upcoming version will re-enable support for dictation mode by utilizing native speech recognizer of Windows 8 and 10.

TheJervid

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks for your answer, FranzZ but does that mean that the update won't include dictation for windows 7 users? :(

Fantom
Help & Support

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:58 pm

The next version will continue to support Windows 7 and above so no worries :)

TheJervid

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:57 pm

::audible sound of relief::
Thanks for your response! That's great news :)

I know you all are crazy busy getting the new oscova out as well as that new website with the countdown rolling but, is there an eta on the new release? :) :)

Leslie
Lead Software Architect

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:39 pm

Syn Virtual Assistant requires integration of nearly all of our independent frameworks out there, thence its iterations are usually delayed. We have already laid down the foundation for the next iteration and are currently awaiting for certain workflows to complete. By the way the countdown you've mentioned is for our upcoming Machine Learning framework that will soon be powering Syn Bot Framework and Syn Virtual Assistant.

TheJervid

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:08 am

Phenomenally exciting news! I know I'm not a coder like you all (yet) but if there's anything I can do to help- even if it's just being a guinea pig for beta testing, I would LOVE to help!!! :)

Return to “General Discussion”